Wednesday, March 09, 2011

The sound of settling

As a bit of a follow-up to my last post, I'm pleased to share that, though it took her a coon's age to fall asleep at bedtime, Eleri slept in her crib for five solid hours last night, woke up briefly - once - nursed for a few minutes, and then slept the rest of the night quite soundly (in our bed, but soundly). She's gone completely boob-free today, and has just moments ago settled down to sleep after nearly draining a 9 oz bottle of breastmilk. Who's winning weaning? We are!

And yes, now that I've said that, we'll have a miserable day tomorrow. Oh well. Things are great right now.

Switching gears, Soren has been the executor of some high intensity freak-outs, lately. They seem to be very specific as to cause, but they're almost frighteningly unlike him, as far as his behavior goes. All-out kicking and screaming, kind of violent, full-on resistance to the thing he doesn't want to do. And he hasn't wanted to get his hair rinsed in the bathtub or leave A's house after a playdate. It's pretty intense. I'm not really sure what to do about it except try to keep him from hurting himself (or me) and let him work through his emotions. If he were responding this way to everything he didn't like, that would be a different story, but two isolated situations (it's happened 3 times total in the past couple of weeks), I can handle.

Something else I've neglected to mention is that Tom's sleep sacrifice this past Monday paid off. He was able to snag the only open space in a 3-days/wk preschool class at the rec center for Soren. I'm fairly confident the lad is going to love that, so I'm quite excited. Yay!

Real-time weaning update: I botched the bed-to-crib transfer (par for the course, lately), and though I was able to get her to re-settle with the bottle, she drained what was left in there in fairly short order and was still looking for more, so it's back to the status quo for the night. But weaning's generally a gradual sort of thing anyway, so I still think we're making good progress.

Toddler bowling video coming your way soon! And once again, check Flickr for the latest photos. G'night for now.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Re: But weaning's generally a gradual sort of thing anyway...
You can't quit boob cold turkey.