Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ups and downs in Sleepsville

Eleri has been amazing and delighting us, in the past week or so, with her ability to put herself to bed, both at naptime and at night. We had several nights in a row, also, where Soren slept in his own room for most or all of the night. Things were looking up! (Even if the night weaning still wasn't fully taking hold. Baby steps are okay.)

Then last night we had two very restless kids in our bed for most of the night. And at naptime today, Eleri yelled and cried and fought sleep even though she was very clearly tired. I was really really hoping to avoid the whole "absolutely must scream myself to sleep each and every time" thing that Soren did, for months, starting right around this age, but I'm starting to fear we will not be so lucky. I know so many moms who have complained about this very phase, so I'm sure it must just be one of those delightful developmental things we'll just have to go through, but man. It's no fun.

As for Soren, I don't even mind the nights when he climbs in our bed and goes right back to sleep. Sometimes I don't even wake up when he comes in; he's just there in the morning, all cute and snuggly. But the nights when he flops and flails around, kicking and punching the rest of us in his sleep? Those I could do without. Blessedly, they are relatively few and far between, these days. I just have to keep reminding myself that it will get better, and I will get to sleep solidly again someday. ;)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to try and convince Eleri that it's bedtime, not party time, and that she'd be much happier if she just relaxed, closed her eyes, and drifted off to sleep quietly instead of screaming in outrage until she's too tired to keep it up. I suspect my chances of success tonight are pretty slim.

No comments: