Saturday, May 07, 2011

While we're at it

Tom's been giving me a hard time for years now over the fact that I'd never seen Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Today, when he returned home from erranding, he said, "Guess what I found in the bargain bin..." (holding up a DVD copy of the movie, of course).

So, we watched it. And oh my god is that movie BAD. At one point I turned to Tom and said, "Somehow I expected this movie to be...I don't know...better? Morgan (Freeman), you're too good for this!" (Tom's reply: "Pretty much everyone in this is too good for it.")

And then, in about the middle of the film, it abruptly went to black and returned to the main menu. Half-joking, I said, "Maybe we need to turn the disc over." Tom guffawed, but indeed, that was what we had to do. Turn the DVD over. Like a friggin' LaserDisc. (Guess we know why it was in the bargain bin. The DVD was so old, they hadn't yet perfected the technology when it was produced!)

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves might be in the "so bad it's good" collection. I mean, it was amusing, I suppose. Though I'm not sure if I was more amused because I have seen Robin Hood: Men in Tights so many times and could recognize all the parts that that movie made fun of. It's just that it was so very earnest. And Kevin Costner is apparently physically incapable of affecting any kind of accent whatsoever. I realize he was cast for his pretty face, but it's really not that pretty.

Anyway. Check another movie-I've-inexplicably-never-seen off the list. Not sure what's next. Godfather trilogy? Star Wars trilogy? (I've actually seen the latter, but only once, and have absolutely no memory of Return of the Jedi or Empire Strikes Back. So I might as well have never seen it.) Footloose? Sixteen Candles? I could go on, but I'm probably just embarrassing myself at this point. ;)

4 comments:

Amy said...

Legend of the Fall...do it...

susan said...

Funny you should mention that one. It was on cable the other night, and we did watch part of it.

madre said...

Ewww, no!!!! (Not unless you're prepared to throw yourself off the balcony)

MC "Never Seen Top Gun" Squared said...

The best part about that movie was the video game, and the best part about a movie is almost never the video game.