Sunday, June 26, 2011

30DOB #14

Day 14: Write about 5 favorite quotes.

I am going to try really, really hard to limit this to quotes that are not from movies/TV shows/songs. But no promises, since the collection of such quotes is not really my thing.

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” -- A. A. Milne
My best friend, FarmerMegan, is (or used to be) a fan of writing down quotes that strike her fancy and posting them on a bulletin board or the fridge or some place like that. When we lived together for a year in college - the first real apartment for either of us - she quickly became familiar with my, oh how to put this, tendency toward untidiness. I was a slob. I remain, in some arenas of my life *cough*the car*cough* a slob. I'm a lot better than I was, though.

Anyway, Megan wrote this A. A. Milne quote on an index card one day, carefully cut it out, and handed it to me. I believe this was within the first couple of months we lived together. And I have cherished it ever since. It's the most positive spin on slovenliness I have ever seen, and it makes me smile every time I read it.

After ecstasy, the laundry. -- Zen saying
You know those page-a-day calendars with jokes or quotes or trivia questions on them? Well, one year in my (very) early 20s, I had one that was "The Little Zen Calendar." At the time, when I first came upon this quote, I thought it was oh so hilarious because - tee hee hee - ecstasy = SEX(!) and after ecstasy you have to do laundry because, you know, the sheets are all messy. From the SEX. I got a big kick out of imagining some quiet, reserved monk saying all matter-of-factly, "Yes, one must expect to attend to the task of laundry after there has been some sweet, sweet lovin' going on."

Of course, now (2 kids and almost 10 years later) I look at this quote and think, "Gah, so true. You could have the best freaking day of your life, attain incredible heights of happiness and personal satisfaction, and there will still always be more goddamned laundry to do." ;)

A skunk offends only his enemies. Among his own kind he does not reek! -- The ghost of Mack's mum, embodied in a skunk, in the movie "A Scottish Tale"

See? Movie quote. Couldn't even get through three without breaking my own (not especially rigid) rule.

Anyway, A Scottish Tale is a very hokey low-budget (more like no-budget) indie flick that Megan and I rented that year we lived together. It's incredibly silly and has some clever moments. But this particular line has always stuck with me. I've always taken it to mean, "Who cares if someone thinks you're weird? They don't matter. The people who matter will love you despite (or even because of) your weirdness." And that's a good thing to remember when one is a socially awkward individual with a tendency to frequently embarrass herself.

"There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't." -- Unknown

This is just nerdy and silly and only works as a written statement, as '10' is how you write '2' in binary. So...yeah, I'm a dork.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate." -- Also unknown, but on one of my t-shirts

More nerdery. This one is obviously a play on "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem," which is (I guess) one of those motivational type things you hear in business meetings. I like the chem nerd version better, even if it is more of a joke than a quote.

Man, that turned out to be tougher than I expected. And I didn't expect it to be all that simple, since (as I mentioned before) I am no fond collector of quotes. But it's done and I shall post it and move on to the next. ;)

1 comment:

Tom said...

See, I just thought the message was "Don't forget: mundane concerns will always be with you"