Wednesday, June 08, 2011

No more babies 'round here

Eleri hasn't really been a baby anymore for quite some time, but it's seemed especially obvious these past couple of weeks that she's growing up fast.

She is using more and more words - or distinctly word-like sounds - and very often just mimics whatever we happen to be saying. She's retaining at least some of it, too. This morning, she and I were in the kitchen, and I was getting ready to feed the cats. Leo was doing his usual whining for food, and completely unprompted (I hadn't said a word), Eleri looked at him and said, "Shush-a. Up." Haha. And the night before, when I'd been trying to get her to fall asleep, she could hear Tom in the other room and kept saying, "Daddy! Hi Daddy. Hi! Daddy, huuuuuuug." It's pretty darned cute.

We're on night #3 now of Eleri sleeping (or at least starting out the night) in Soren's room. The first night she woke up around 2 or 3, cried a bit, and Tom went and got her. Last night she showed up at my bedside, calm as could be, and requested, "Up, me." I still haven't decided whether to put the 4th side back on that crib or just leave it as a "big girl bed," but I figure we can see how the next few nights go.

Soren, for his part, has gone nearly a week now without coming into our room until it's light outside. Which, these days, is still pretty early, but then he climbs up on our bed and passes back out for another couple of hours, which is a-ok by me!

Ah, poor Els. Just woke up all sad (it's a little past midnight), and when I went in to check on her, it seems her stuffy nose is what's waking her up. Stupid summer colds. She's now asleep in my lap on the couch, snoring just a bit. I suspect it's not going to be the most restful night for us. But at least we're on the right track (foolish as that may be to claim, just 3 nights in) on the kids-sharing-a-room front.

Anyway, where was I? I was remarking to a friend today that I'm definitely past the "toddler and an infant" stage and well into the "mom of two little kids" stage. It won't be much longer at all before Eleri is almost as tall as Soren. She just needs to get a little more stable on her feet, so he can't pull her over quite so easily when he tries to drag her by he hand this way and that. She often brings to mind that Chumbawamba song (without all the boozing, of course). She does get knocked down, and frequently, but she almost always gets right back up again.

Seems like I had more Eleri updates to relate, but I can't remember them at the moment. I'll have to think about starting a Twitter feed for her little gems too, though, as she continues talking more and more. ;)

No comments: