Sunday, July 17, 2011

Last Week

Last week was quite busy in the lead up to Tom & Soren's big trip out to Oregon. Somehow I wasn't able to squeeze in time for blogging. ;)


Day 94


Day 183

I actually don't have much to say about Sunday. I don't remember any remarkable happenings. Probably did some chores, definitely did a bunch of cleaning and tidying.


Day 95


Day 184

Monday! It was forecast to be a brutally hot one, so we got up & out of the house early and met A & his mom at Burke Lake Park. It had been almost 11 months since we were there last, so it was the first time Eleri actually got to play on the playground. She bravely tried 2 of the big slides all by herself and had a great time following the boys around but also playing on her own. After an hour and change on the playground, we headed down to ride the train and carousel. All the kids were super excited about the train, and after our ride, the engineer let the kids sit up in the driver's seat; Soren and A were, needless to say, over the moon thrilled. Eleri was also big enough this time to ride a horse on the carousel (instead of riding on my back), and while she was a bit squirmy before the carousel started moving, once it got going she was totally into it. After the ride was over, she quietly chanted, "Pony, pony, pony..." for a while. Hehe.

We left the park around noon, just as the heat was starting to get nasty. One quick errand on the way home, and then we just took it easy for the rest of the day. Tom wasn't feeling well and came home earlier than he's been doing, lately, which was unfortunate for him but meant I got to go to the gym after dinner.


Day 96


Day 185

Tuesday was another busy one. Zoom class in the morning, hanging out at A's house after (his mom was letting me use their treadmill). Then we picked up Tom so we could take him to the doctor. Poor guy had infections in both ears and a possible sinus infection. :( Not the sort of thing you want to develop a few days before you're going to be riding a plane across the country. It was another really hot day, but we soldiered on and did some shopping after dropping Tom back at work. Soren needed some stuff to wear to the wedding, and it took trips through 4 stores for us to find some suitable things. We eventually did though and made our way back home.

In the evening, Tom & I worked on compiling a list of all the words Eleri knows. We ended up with well over 80. She is quite the verbal lass. ;)


Day 97


Day 186

Wednesday we did our usual mall walking in the morning and then hung around the mall to do just a bit more shopping. Found ties for both Tom & Soren and some new sandals to replace the ones Soren has nearly run into the ground (he's worn them nearly every day this summer). While Eleri napped, Soren got to try on his "wedding clothes," to his great excitement. He's hilarious.

That afternoon there was a crazy intense thunderstorm. I could not believe that Eleri napped right through it. There were some incredibly loud claps of thunder, one of which startled me so badly I jumped 2 feet in the air and still had a racing pulse five minutes later. I thought surely that one would have awakened her, but when I went back to check on her, she still appeared to be asleep. At that point, I figured I should probably double check to make sure she was still breathing. Hehe. And wouldn't you know it, my standing there, staring silently at her for 5 seconds to watch for the rise and fall of her back? Yep, that's what woke her. Figures!

In the evening the kids & I met an out-of-town friend for dinner (old dive buddy we hadn't seen since before Soren was born, so she'd never met the kids). The restaurant we went to promotes itself as a purveyor of "Asian tapas," which sounded very intriguing, but it was really just your standard pan Asian fare. Tasty, but nothing too out of the ordinary. The kids were...not exactly on their best behavior at dinner. Nothing too bad, just wiggly, and Eleri continued her streak of freaking out over being put in a high chair, so she spent the meal sitting in my lap while I did my best to keep her from flinging food everywhere. Whee. It was still a nice visit though, and both kids were really excited about looking at the fish tank by the sushi counter after we finished eating.


Day 98


Day 187

Thursday was a cleaning day. I spent the morning tidying up the apartment, and then in the afternoon I took my stir crazy duo to the spray park. It was a lot less crowded in the afternoon, and we had a great time! The last time we were there, Soren was horribly jealous of some other kids who had buckets to play with. The whole time he'd been asking why he couldn't have a bucket, and could I please go get him one so he could play with it now? So this time, he started asking early if he could bring a bucket along, and I of course told him he could, but in the usual rush to get out the door, I completely forgot to look for one. So we were already on the way, and he asked where his bucket was, and I felt bad about forgetting, so we stopped at the grocery store to see if they had any. They did not, but I wandered the aisles looking for an acceptable substitute. Finally in the Tupperware section, I found something I thought might suit. I asked Soren if it would be a good bucket, and he said, "Yes! It's the perfect bucket for me!" So. Cute.

Once we got to the water park, he spent a full 45 minutes with that Tupperware container, filling it up and dumping it out, pouring water over his head, pouring water down the drains, humongous grin on his face all the while. Totally worthwhile purchase. And then when some other kids asked to play with it, he was very nice about sharing. Eleri also had some turns with the bucket and spent some time playing with a little plastic shovel someone else had brought. We were at the park for a good hour and a half at least, and then Soren was shivering so much it was time to go. But shivering while still wearing that humongous grin. ;)

And still the day was not over! In the evening we went into DC and ate really tasty Indian food with Max, Agnes & Alice. Tom wasn't stuck too late at work, so he was able to join us. A fine time was had by all.


Day 99


Day 188

And then it was Friday! Tom went to work for a half-day, and I took the kids to the zoo with A and his mom. I figured I should try to run Soren around as much as possible so he'd have a better chance of sleeping on the plane. We had a nice time. The weather could not have been more mild and perfect, and I recorded this very adorable "Eleri as a lion" moment.


A couple of hours after we got home from the zoo, it was time to leave for the airport. Usually we fly in and out of Reagan National Airport, which is very close by, but this time the guys were leaving from Baltimore. It's a good thing we left as early as we did. Friday afternoon traffic was awful once we got north of DC, and then I missed the exit for the Baltimore-Washington Parkway and had to backtrack a couple of miles. Yippee. We made it though, in plenty of time, and off the fellows went for their trip. Eleri and I stopped for an early dinner on our way home and then began our girls' weekend. The lass was especially hilarious at bathtime; with no Soren there to monopolize the bath toys, she was much more vocal and spent a bunch of time playing silly games with them. It was cute. :)

I'll hold off on my account of the rest of the weekend until tomorrow. Tom said the two of them had a great time, and he took lots and lots of pictures, so I'll be going through those and no doubt posting some.

Just another half hour or so until we leave to fetch the boys at the airport. I had really hoped to get Eleri sleeping earlier than usual this evening so I could have a bit of time to finish this blog post in peace and maybe eat some ice cream, heck maybe even watch a movie. Alas, she had other plans and is at this moment (at NINE FIFTY-THREE PM) climbing in my lap asking for more crayons. Wide awake as can be. I know she'll pass out in the car, but sheesh. Oh well. We really did have a nice weekend together.

All right, going to finish up a couple of chores and then hit the road. Have a good night.

2 comments:

mlsurfs said...

love the little rash guards for swimming, but you should really get them long sleeve ones! much better for sun protection!

=)

we gotta do a google hangout dinner party soon!

susan said...

You know, I haven't seen long sleeved rash guards in their sizes in any of the stores around here. Maybe that's something we'd have to order online.

Rumor has it D will be in town later his week. Maybe we can do a hangout dinner then!