Sunday, August 07, 2011

Productive weekend

Last weekend was my final one at the barn. N's not going to be teaching there anymore, so it seemed prudent to check out a couple of the riding barns closer to home. I've not had luck finding a place yet, but I've got another couple of places to check out next week. In the meantime, it meant I had the whole weekend free.

Saturday, while Tom took the kids to the park, I got some work done around the house, culling our vast abundance of toys and reorganizing the kids' room. I'd run outside (for the first time in a while) on Friday evening, just shy of two miles, and my quads were quite sore the next day. So instead of hitting the gym in the afternoon, I took Soren out with me to do the grocering. He insisted on wearing his chef outfit, which was pretty darned cute. He got a couple of compliments (no great surprise) and was a merry little dude.

We've been using the playpen to block the doorway between the kitchen and dining room. Soren's way too big for it now (can climb in and out with ease), so it mostly finds use these days as a repository for junk. It's time to get rid of it, but that doorway is too narrow for any of our baby gates, and it's convenient to be able to leave the doors open while cooking to keep an eye on the kids, who also cannot come barreling into the kitchen. So Tom decided to custom build a gate (call it another chapter in our babyproofing adventures). He got the supplies and started working on it Saturday evening.


Day 121


Day 210

Sunday morning Soren had his swimming lesson. Eleri and I checked out the little park that's just outside the back gate of our condo complex. I hadn't been up there in quite a while, and they've completely renovated it. Pretty slick new play structure, swings, hopscotch, even a foursquare court (haven't seen one of those in years). It was a steamy and sticky morning, so we didn't stay too long, but Eleri seemed to have a good time. I suspect we'll be returning again with Soren soon.

Tom worked on his gate for much of the afternoon and got it finished. I think it looks pretty good!




In the afternoon I went to the gym and got back on the ol' treadmill. The exercise actually seems to have done my sore quads some good. Go figure. I managed what I believe is a lifetime personal best for distance - 3.9 miles! I've come to the conclusion that increasing my speed much above 7 mph, which would allow me to improve my time on the 5k, is the primary culprit in the recurrence of my shin splints, so I've decided to abandon speed for distance. I'm not going for a marathon or anything insane like that, but I think it'd be neat to be up to 5 miles by the end of the year. I've been logging my runs and walks and have posted the link up there in the sidebar. You can check it out if you are so inclined. ;)

That's about it for the weekend. Here's to another (hopefully speedy) week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great to see our grandson and son, but it is extra special to follow your documentation of his and Eleri's (and your) everyday hijinks.
Sore has a huge vocabulary, and what is scary is that he mostly knows what he's talking about. We're not surprised his sister is following in his footsteps. On top of all of that they are both incredibly cute. Watching little Miss Curlylocks grow up even from afar is still quite a treat (love her little pig-tails and Soren's too).

Crowing Grandparents Johnson

susan said...

I'll work on updating more regularly again. I like having the record to look back on, too. :)