Friday, August 26, 2011

Tomato fest & Soren's last swim class


Day 134


Day 223

Saturday Tom & I took turns running errands & getting some exercise. In the evening, we headed out to Alice's house for some visiting & feasting. Before dinner we all took a walk down to the Potomac, where stones were skipped and rocks were flung with satisfying splashes. Back at Alice's, we started making food. She had a bunch of tomatoes from her garden, plus a few from the farmers' market, so they were the theme for the evening. We started off with a tomato & watermelon salad (which also contained bleu cheese, toasted pine nuts, basil & bacon), at Max's suggestion. I'll admit, I was a little skeptical about the flavor profile, but it was really really good. Next up were roasted stuffed tomatoes. We scooped out the tomato guts, which we then combined with some fresh mozzarella, bread crumbs, more basil, and a bit of olive oil, salt & pepper, and stuffed back in the hollowed-out tomatoes. Roasted in the oven for half an hour, they turned out great. We had some extra stuffing left over, so I fashioned some little flat cakes out of it, which we deep fried in bacon fat. They were (no great surprise) also delicious. Rounding out the evening were BSLT sandwiches - bacon, steak, lettuce & tomato. Super tasty.

Sadly, while I remembered to bring along my camera and took some nice pictures during our walk, I didn't get a single shot of the delicious food. Fail! We'll just have to make it all again sometime, I guess. ;)


Day 135


Day 224

Sunday was Soren's last swimming class for the summer session. Eleri & I tagged along to watch, and I was able to take some pictures. Soren was super cute. I could tell some things still make him nervous (he's still not very comfortable on his back, for example) but he tries really hard. It seems he'll do just about anything for his adored Coach Marcus. I'd been hearing about Coach Marcus for weeks and was glad to finally get to meet him. He's something of a rock star in our house. ;)

It was a pretty warm morning, so we came on home after swim class. While Eleri had her afternoon nap, Soren got to talk to my dad on the phone and wish him a happy 60th birthday. Happy birthday, Dad! :)

No comments: