Thursday, September 08, 2011

30DOB #16

Day 16: Share your favorite recipe.

It's not possible to pick just one, but here's a recent favorite. It's for roast chicken and is basically the only way I'll make roast chicken again. ;) I found it here, on AllRecipes, but I'll copy it below as well.

Ingredients
  • one chicken (obviously)
  • 1/2 c. white wine or chicken broth (I actually used double this, about 1/2 cup of each)
  • 1 lime wedge (or some lime juice)
  • 2 garlic cloves (I used some crushed garlic)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • thyme (one or two sprigs fresh, or a pinch dried)
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
The recipe also calls for apple juice/sherry and cornstarch, in order to make a gravy from the drippings, but I didn't do that. I did, however add:
  • butter
  • crumbled bacon
  • salt

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Rinse chicken, pat dry. Put some bits of butter & crumbled bacon under the skin of the chicken in several places. Place chicken breast up on a rack in a roasting pan.
3. In a bowl, combine half the white wine/chicken broth, lime wedge/juice, garlic, thyme & bay leaf. Pour mixture into the cavity of the chicken.
4. Pour the remainder of the white wine/broth into the bottom of the roasting pan.
5. Sprinkle paprika (and salt) on the chicken & tent loosely with foil.
6. Bake chicken for 45 minutes, basting occasionally. Add more liquid to the roasting pan as it evaporates.
7. After 45 minutes, remove the foil & bake until the juices run clear (about another 35-45 min).
8. If desired, make a gravy out of the pan drippings & some apple juice or sherry, thickened with cornstarch. But this chicken was so succulent & delicious that I don't think a gravy would even be necessary.

And there you have it! Scrumptious roast chicken in just a couple of hours.

2 comments:

Tom said...

I did a similar thing with the last chicken we roasted, but I skipped everything but the butter, crumbled bacon, and salt. I added pepper. I melted about 2 tbsp of butter together with bacon chunks (and a bit of bacon fat) and rubbed the chicken inside and out (and under the skin) with it. Then I salted and peppered it.

No basting, and started breast down and turned it breast up when I detented. Otherwise just the same. Still came out delicious. Could have used the other spicing, possibly.

Tom said...

Oh, wait, I did put crushed garlic in there and a bit of grapeseed oil--much of the truly delicious stuff ended up in the pan, where, next time, I plan to make a gravy.