Monday, September 19, 2011

Snippets

Some miscellaneous, possibly non-chronological tidbits from life around here of late.

Soren was never really into stuffed animals as a wee babe. He would play with them sometimes, but it's only been in the past maybe 6 months or so that he's developed any sort of affinity for a particular one. But now he's got 2 pals that he snuggles to sleep just about every night. Meet Zebra Ear and Pointy Tail.


The Zeebs, chillin'


He was shocked, when I showed him this picture recently, to realize that he'd had Pointy Tail around since he was tiny.

Eleri, on the other hand, has already found herself a favorite stuffed friend. She's become attached to a bear that (I think) was sent to us by Tom's grandparents. Bedtime or quiet time, she's not likely to be without him.



One morning last week, the kids & I were slowly getting the day started. We were all sitting on my bed, and Soren was saying how excited he was that Zebra Ear would get to come to preschool with him for show & tell. Out of curiosity (and not really expecting an answer), I turned to Eleri, who was snuggling her bear.

Me: Ellie, what's your bear's name?
El: (without missing a beat) Johnson.
Me: (chuckling a little) Your bear's name is Johnson?
El: Yeah.

And so now we have a pony named Zebra Ear, a puppy named Pointy Tail, and a bear named Johnson.

* * * * *
Soren started preschool last week! Monday was just a 45 minute "open house" session. He got to meet his teachers & classmates, get accustomed to the layout of the classroom, and sampled the wide variety of awesome toys therein. The parents hung around (mostly to ask questions, get last-minute paperwork turned in, snap photos), but Soren hardly noticed my presence. He was completely in his element and happy as a clam. It was pretty great.

Wednesday was the first "real" day of class. Starting at the regular time. Which was half an hour earlier than the open house day started. Which I knew. And yet somehow, I got the open house start time stuck in my head. (Dun dun duuuuuun...)

Soren was up early and super jazzed. He came to wake me up and said, "Mommy! It's time for [name of his preschool class]! I am so....so....happy." If that ain't enough to put a s mile on your face first thing in the morning, I don't know what is. He picked out an outfit, ate some breakfast, and tolerated having his picture taken with his backpack on. We eventually left the apartment with (I thought) tons of time to spare, made our way slowly outside to the car, lingered on the grass to take some more pictures, then headed to school. I let him take his time in the bathroom before class, not bothering to hustle him because I still thought we were early. There was a brief moment of "hmm, I would have expected a lot more people around, especially on the first day" but it's not like there was no one else milling about. Just not as many as I would have thought. It was not until we were sauntering over to his classroom that it occurred to me.

Holy shit. We are not 10 minutes early, we're 20 minutes late! AUGH!

*headslap*

I was actually completely mortified and really upset about it at the time, even though his teachers were totally sweet and understanding, and all the kids were still having their morning free play time when we got there, so it's not like we walked in during the middle of circle time or anything. I don't think Soren really noticed our tardiness. But oh man, I felt just awful. Total and complete MomFail moment. And it's not as though I didn't know perfectly well what time school started. The information was just overwritten in my brain that day. So very lame.

Fortunately, the lad had an awesome first day...and then another great day on Friday. This morning was school again, and he seems to be totally into it. I'm so glad! :)

* * * * *
A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a friend on the phone, bemoaning the fact that our jalapeno plants - which we planted in the spring - had not yet produced any flowers or fruit, despite seeming to be healthy and green and growing well. The very next day, this happened.


So we may yet have some peppers after all!

* * * * *
Eleri's getting to be very fond of books and is starting to recite parts of her favorites. She'll finish all the sentences in The Carrot Seed and can identify most of what's going on in Oh My, Oh My, Oh Dinosaurs. She's also way into songs. Itsy Bitsy Spider, Old MacDonald and the ABCs are current favorites, along with the 3 Little Monkeys rhyme.
Three little monkeys swingin' in the tree
Teasin' Mr. Alligator, "Can't catch me!"
Along comes Mr. Alligator, quiet as can be
And SNAPS that monkey right out of the tree!
Morbid, but she loves it, and does all the little hand motions that go along with it. ;)

* * * * *
El's started using full sentences every once in a while. Some recent adorable ones: "Mommy/Daddy/Soren/Leo...eh AH you?" (where are you), "I love you!" and "Don't...go...'fout...me!"

* * * * *
I got Soren a first grade level easy reader book from the library (this one). He read the whole thing, by himself, with only a tiny bit of assistance. And this was before we'd read it to him, so it wasn't that he just had it memorized. Pretty cool.

This is the sort of thing I would feel like an asshole talking about in public (out loud), but somehow I feel like less of a jerkface braggy parent writing it on my blog. Which, I concede, may be a misconception on my part. But everyone who reads here knows me well enough, I hope, to know I'm just proud of him and a little blown away and mostly just recording stuff like this for posterity. :)

* * * * *
Ever since we moved here, there's been construction work happening on the Beltway. (I suspect Beltway construction is really just an unending phenomenon.) Much of this work has been the building of a sound wall. There's one house along the side of the freeway that I figure must have quite the story behind it.


I call it the "Hell no, we won't go" house. It must take a very special brand of persistence to refuse (I'm assuming they were offered) a buyout from the city/state, when the result is not only putting up with months of loud construction - literally just outside your window - but then years of loud, unbuffered freeway traffic noise.

* * * * *
The reason I was able to take the above photo is that, while I was on my way to my riding lesson this past Friday, there was horrendous traffic on the Beltway. Horrendous. It usually takes me 25-30 minutes to get to the barn, door to door. This Friday? It took me an hour and ten. Which resulted in me arriving 23 minutes into my half hour lesson. Grrrrrrr! I was extremely frustrated. The instructor kindly took pity on me (I wasn't the only one who was late that day, but I was the only one who basically missed the lesson due to tardiness), and let me come back on Saturday to ride in a different class.

The previous week, we'd had a ton of rain...I mean a LOT...the day before my lesson day. I didn't know if the barn would be open, but there was nothing about a closure on the website, and no one returned my call asking if we were still having classes. So I went ahead and showed up. And arrived to find a "CLOSED" sign hanging on the gate. So that was awesome. This Saturday, then, was my first ride in a couple of weeks. It went pretty well. I was in a class with 4 teenagers and felt like kind of an old fogey. Hehe. It was okay though.

* * * * *
All right! That's enough for now, I think. More again soon, I promise.

No comments: