Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving :)

Today started early. Like, before sun-up early, for me. Jenny left well before 5AM, planning to catch a 6:30 bus from Union Station in DC. Her plan was to bike to the local metro station and take the train into the city. We checked WMATA last night, and figured out when she would have to be there. Absolutely nothing on the website indicated in any way that the metro stations would all be closed for the holiday early this morning. Which they were.

By some miracle, I actually heard my phone (just set to vibrate, and sitting on a shelf all the way across the house from our bedroom) when Jenny called at about 5:25 for rescuing. She'd biked to two different metro stations, both of which were closed. (Weirdly, the escalators were turned on. Nice waste of energy there, WMATA.) This is precisely the sort of thing that tends to happen to me when I'm traveling - or, you know, trying to get anywhere with a time limit - so it was actually kind of a pleasant change to be the one coming to the rescue rather than the one desperately trying to fight the fates and get wherever on time.

Happily, we made it in time, and all was well. And I got to say one last bon voyage, which was nice. I'm glad it all worked out. And it gave me a super early jump start on the day - maybe a bit earlier than I would have wanted, but I can't really complain. ;)

After lazing around for several hours, I headed down to the pool to get some pre-feasting exercise. I ended up swimming just over a mile! Somehow I found myself in a rhythm and just kind of kept going. Of course, I had super wobbly legs when I finally stopped and got out of the pool - no great surprise - but I still felt pretty good about the whole thing.

We were invited over to Heather's house for Thanksgiving, where we had deep-fried turkey for the second year in a row. So tasty. Tom made the side dishes we were asked to bring (mashed potatoes & brussels sprouts). He confited garlic in olive oil & spices and added that to the potatoes. There were yams, parsnips, carrots, stuffing with two kinds of bread, cranberry sauce, apple sauce, and FIVE DIFFERENT PIES (apple, banana cream, bourbon-chocolate-pecan, blueberry, and pumpkin). It was quite the feast. It's always lovely to visit with friends, especially over a big, delicious meal. The kids were not exactly well-behaved at dinner (grr), but they were pretty cute and good the rest of the time. Soren adores Heather and consistently makes comments that sound an awful lot like he's trying to make a pass at her. A memorable one from one of our previous dinners: "Heather! Want to go inside the house and...do stuff?" Hehe. Eleri was also a lot more talkative this time than the last time we were over there, so that's always fun. Less fun was her screaming meltdown at dinner over not being able to play peekaboo with the tablecloth, but that's another story. ;)

And now we're home, and they're asleep, and I'm going to roll myself into bed and hopefully enjoy a bit of a lie-in tomorrow. Poor Tom has to work, but he ought to get out early.

Happy Thanksgiving, one and all!

No comments: