Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Merry Christmas. Have a PR.

Tom got me a super awesome fully waterproof mp3 player for Christmas. I got to try it out in the pool for the first time this evening. It's really amazing how much of a difference it made, having a (more or less) consistent beat to try and match. I shaved almost 90 seconds off my previous best time for 1000 yards, and I hadn't even been able to come within a minute of that record since I set it in mid-October! So that was pretty great. I look forward to many more music-accompanied swims in the future.

It was cold here today. Really cold. High of 32 cold. Just the sort of day to make hot soup for dinner. I found a recipe for coconut & chicken curry soup and made that. (The recipe calls for jalapeno, but I left it out so it wouldn't be too spicy for the kiddos.) Tom made some incredibly rich stock over the weekend, so I used that in the soup, and it was outstanding. Definitely a win.

I also tried hot quinoa cereal this morning. Jenny had left it behind when she visited, and I finally got around to making it. It was interesting. Oatmeal-type consistency, except with the flavor of broccoli. Quinoa is, of course, a broccoli relative, but I'd never really thought they tasted alike before. So that was interesting. Not bad, though! Would have been killer with some grated cheddar over the top. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job with the swim time! I am glad you're back, I've missed you.

Gramma Carrie Ann

susan said...

Thanks! Glad to be back. :)