Thursday, January 19, 2012

Remarkably Good

We've all been a bit under the weather around here again lately. (I know. You're shocked. Shocked!) But I'm not going to write about that. Instead, I am going to write about the strangely excellent day that was January 19, 2012.

For starters, I got a pretty solid night's sleep. (That alone has the capacity to lay the groundwork for greatness.) Eleri slept the whole night in her own bed, and though we did have Soren in with us eventually, he wasn't hideously kicky or floppy. I woke up when Tom's alarm went off at 6:30. This happens pretty frequently, but I'm usually so exhausted that I pass right back out almost instantly. This morning, though, I couldn't fall back asleep, so I decided to read for a while, figuring the kids would probably be up and at 'em soon anyway.

I am rarely so glad to be so wrong. I was able to read, undisturbed, until almost 8:00! Sure, more sleep would have been a welcome alternative, but there's something beautiful about a leisurely 90-minute ramp up to the day. Most mornings the kids wake me, and they of course bolt out of bed ready to take on the world (or my sanity...whichever is a more convenient target), so this morning's slow approach to the day was a lovely and unexpected gift. Around 8:00, Soren woke up, and soon after we could hear Eleri starting to stir in the other room. Soren hopped out of bed and trotted off to see her.

I found them like this, he in her bed, the two of them happily exchanging their good mornings.


But wait. It gets better still. Instead of leaping up and demanding breakfast, the two of them started playing together, cooperatively and adorably, in their room! I sat in the living room with a big, stupid grin on my face, listening to them talk back & forth, having actual conversations, playing without argument or upset. It was amazing. And it went on for a good 20 minutes! (I recorded a bit of it for posterity, in case it never happens again. Hehehe.) Then they came out, asked nicely for breakfast, and were rewarded with yogurt parfaits, which they ate without making a mess.

The morning continued in an almost bewilderingly perfect fashion. The kids were agreeable and helpful. Whining was at a minimum. Soren actually came to me at one point and said, "Mommy! I cleaned up the toys in my closet!" I know. It didn't take long for me to start wondering when the other shoe was going to drop.

But the goodness continued. I let Soren look up ASL signs on the computer while I cleaned the kitchen, and he would run to the kitchen gate after every one to demonstrate for me. Eleri (who knows almost all of her letters now, by the way!) played with the iPod for a while. Soren helped clean up his room without argument. (Okay, without much argument.) When the ladies from the cleaning service arrived, the lad showed off his ability to count to 10 in Spanish (which he learned in preschool).

We went to the playground, where I pushed them together on the big green swing to a chorus of giggles and repeated cries of, "Faster than that!" There were, of course, some complaints when it was time to go; it was really cold out, plus we had errands to run, so I set a 20-minute playground time limit, which is almost criminally short as far as they're concerned. But on we went.

Things devolved a bit at the store and on the way home, and unfortunately for Tom, the evening was more or less normal, with the exception of some pretty dedicated eating on Soren's part at the dinner table. But hey. The better part of the day was almost like something out of a dream. A good dream. Not the kind I have after I eat something too spicy late at night.

No comments: