Friday, March 23, 2012

Good stuff

Morning conversation with Soren

Mommy, why do I have a yellow toothbrush?

Well, you have a Y chromosome, so you have a Y-is-for-yellow toothbrush. (This was something Tom said to help him remember which of the kids' toothbrushes is which.)

Why do I have a Y chromosome?

You got it from Daddy. He gave it to you when we made you. (He's been obsessed with how people are made, lately, since A's mom is pregnant. He keeps asking when I'm going to grow more children for him to play with, and why men don't grow babies too.)

Daddy didn't give it to me. I took it!

Goof ball. ;)

* * * * *

This afternoon when we picked up Soren from school, we ended up following his class back in from the playground. Eleri joined right in without hesitation, lined up with them, followed them back into the classroom. Soren's teachers were kind enough to just go along with it. It was pretty darned adorable.

* * * * *

With the very early spring/summer weather here this year, we may be a little late already, but Tom & I have big plans for the balcony garden this year. We're planning to make a couple of planters (similar to this or this), and do as much companion planting as we feasibly can. (By which I mean, planting multiple compatible things in each container, rather than one plant/type of plant each.) Then we went on Seed Savers last night and ordered a bunch of stuff. Seed Savers is awesome because it has all kinds of wacky varietals and heirloom plants, so we'll be able to have a garden that should be a ton of fun for the kids to watch grow, in addition to getting some tasty foods. Here's what we ordered:


I'm pretty excited! Like I said, we're probably behind the curve starting seeds this late, but we should still get some good stuff this year. We're trying corn mostly for the novelty of it. Tom figures it will look cool, and the peas can grow up the corn stalks, using them like a trellis. Even if we only get one or two ears of "Bloody Butcher Corn," it'll still be fun to watch it grow. The flowers are for repelling pests and attracting beneficial insects, as well as for their good looks. ;) Though actually, they are also both edible, so they might end up in salads at our house eventually.

Yay, Balcony Garden 2012!

* * * * *

We are slowly, slowly clawing our way out of Potty Training Purgatory. This week we had one day of no accidents, two days with one accident each, one day with two accidents, and (knock on wood) nothing so far today. Tom was looking back at the "permanent record" (i.e. my old blog posts) and figures Eleri is about 3 months ahead of Soren's potty training schedule, so even though it feels like it has been taking forever, we're still better off than we were the first time around. ;) She's definitely been out of diapers during the day since late January, which is itself awesome, regardless of the frustrations surrounding all the accidents. Having two fully potty trained children will be so sweet.

* * * * *

I've been making a concerted effort to exercise almost daily since about mid-January. I've bought several circuit training style DVDs and have been working through them. I've also been going to Zumba classes every weekend with my friend Sarah since mid-February. And while I'm not seeing progress quite as fast as I'd like to (I mean, duh, who doesn't want to feel like all the sweat and effort and calorie-counting is "worth it"?), I'm definitely getting stronger and leaner, slowly. I've still got a ways to go, having put on a good 17 lbs or so after weaning Eleri, but I will get there! What's hilarious is when the kids decide to exercise with me. Three of the DVDs I have are Jillian Michaels workouts. I never watched The Biggest Loser (she was one of the trainers on that show for a while) but I'd heard good things about her "30 Day Shred" DVD, so that was the one I picked up first. Soren cannot understand why I don't exercise in a bra top like the ladies on the video, but he's usually game to jump around with me for a while, using soup cans for hand weights. I also picked up a pilates DVD, which I did yesterday for the first time, and Eleri joined in for a while with that one. Both kids have been clocked by my hand weights (one time each...and they're only 3 pound weights), which is less than awesome, but for the most part they are learning to stay out of range for those 25 minutes or so that I'm working out. Though El still does like to come climb on me when I'm trying to do situps. So helpful. ;)

Last night I decided to try and do a pull up, just for the heck of it, and I made it about halfway up, which is better than I've been able to do for quite some time! You can be sure I'll brag here when I'm finally able to manage pulling myself all the way up.

* * * * *

All right, that's about all the news that's fit to print, for right now. I have a ton of photos to upload, hopefully this weekend, so be sure to check out Flickr over the next few days for those. For now, have a great weekend. :)

2 comments:

madre said...

What interesting choices! It is quite amazing to learn how many different varieties of each plants there are. I can't wait to see the progress(and taste!)your harvest :)
Ya and and I are very excited to start our garden in the next few weeks, too!!!

susan said...

I'm hoping everything grows well this year. We'll see! Should be interesting, at the very least.