Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fathers' Day

Can it really be mid-June already? It's been unexpectedly mild this past week, which I have definitely appreciated, after the previous week's foray into the 90s. I have a feeling we'll be thrust back into the full vigor of summer weather again soon enough.

I've got a lot to update, per usual, but I'm going to split it into a few posts, in reverse chronological order. So I'll start with today.

Happy Fathers' Day, to all the dads, not least my own! We had a pretty nice day here, generally taking it easy in the morning and early afternoon, and then going to a BBQ with some friends later in the day. There are a couple of moms (Carlota & Christine), whom Eleri and I met in the lass's rec center class, and with whom the kids and I hang out a fair bit. So we were meeting up with them and their families to visit and eat some tasty food, potluck-style. Socializing with people he barely knows is not particularly high on Tom's list of favorite pastimes, but he's ever the good sport, and everyone ultimately had a good time, I think. The kiddos all get along great, which makes it easy and fun to spend time together.

And not to toot my own horn (much), but I made some damned tasty cornbread to bring along. I also made pasta salad, which is reliably delicious, but the corn bread was especially spectacular. When I was making it, Tom reminded me that we had some baconated duck fat in the fridge, and I included that in lieu of some of the butter called for in the recipe. Oh my. It was fabulous. I also put corn kernels and shredded cheddar cheese in it, and next time I think I'll try adding diced green chiles as well. Good stuff.

No comments: