Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Spray park failboat

Yesterday we got to meet Tom for lunch, which is always nice. It was a hot day (the mildness of last week has taken its leave of us, and we're back to temperatures in the upper 90s), so I thought we might try to head over to the spray park in the afternoon. By the time I got my act together & got us all out of the house, it was after 3:30. I figured the kids would still get a good 30-45 minutes of play time in before we had to return home to make dinner.

About a mile from the spray park, I saw this up ahead.


Thar be thunderheads. Ruh roh.

I crossed my fingers and hoped any storming would hold off or skirt around us. It seemed for a little bit that we might be lucky. All the water things were on and spraying when we arrived, so there hadn't already been any thunder. We parked and started making our way to the front gate.

Drip. Drip-drip. Drip.

A little rain had started while we were walking. No big deal. We were going to a spray park, after all. We got to the front gate and were welcomed by the lifeguard sitting there.

WHOOSH.

Up came a huge gust of wind, catching the umbrella attached to the little entry gate podium thing and blowing the whole thing toward us. Well, toward me (the kids were on my other side). The lifeguard caught it and collapsed the umbrella. Two other lifeguards came walking over, saying they'd heard thunder. Great. That meant the spray park would be closed for 30 minutes, at least. Figures. I had to pee, so I shoved the kids toward the restroom before we could get kicked out of the spray park.

While we were in the restroom, the rain kicked into high gear and started coming down in buckets. We finished up and booked it back to the car. I suppose the kids got their water fun after all. I, however, had not planned on the thorough drenching I received.


In case you can't tell, there's still a tiny dry patch there under my armpit. That was it.

We couldn't really wait around for half an hour, then have enough time to play for any reasonable amount of time before we'd have to head home and make dinner, so we got on our way. Sorry, kiddos.

On the bright side, someone got what was probably a much-needed nap on the ride home.


Snorg

She must have been really tired. I carried her upstairs and she still kept right on snoozing.


Got a bit of a "passed out teen starlet" thing going on, with those diva glasses ;)

Anyway. We'll try again later in the week, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I admit I laughed at the T-shirt and the look of consternation.

susan said...

The consternation was due to the fact that I had both my phone and my ipod in my pockets. Fortunately, neither has suffered any ill effects from the impromptu shower. Whew.