Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Back to School

I did take some pictures with my "real" camera too, but for now, here are some from my iPod.

Hey! It's finally here! The first day of preschool! Yaaaaaaaaay!


I'm not the only one who's happy about it.

Unlike last year, I managed to actually get us out the door and off to school on time for the first day. We were even a little early! The kids played on the playground briefly, and then we headed inside when the doors opened.

The first week, only the new kids get to come to school, which I think is a pretty smart way to do it in a program when you've got 3, 4, 5 and 6 year-olds all in one class. Lots of returning students, in other words. Soren's class has, I think, 8 new kids (out of 25) this year, so it was a nice, small group today. Lots of opportunity for close attention from the teachers as they get accustomed to the routines and such.

We went inside, and Soren put his spare clothes away in his bin, set his backpack in its place, got a carpet square (to sit upon) and a book, and sat down to read on the floor with the other kids while they waited for everyone to get in and settled.


El ran over and gave him a big hug & kiss, and then we left. We had paperwork to turn in upstairs, errands to run, chores to do at home. The three hours flew by.

We picked Soren up after school and went out to Silver Diner for lunch. I always forget, somehow, that I really should not ever take my kids to restaurants by myself. I mean, they're not as bad as they could be, but they're certainly not as calm and well behaved as would be ideal in such a situation. I was trying to be all, "Yay! Back to school! Let's celebrate!" and it turned into, "Seriously. We haven't even ordered yet, so if you don't stop wrestling in the booth right now we are just going to leave." Sigh. But we made it through, and lunch was tasty.


They look so angelic, I know. Don't be fooled. That window behind them? Eleri had to be forcibly removed from the sill. Twice.

Soren was amazed and delighted to discover he could order off the breakfast menu if he wanted to. He indulged his Nate the Great obsession by ordering pancakes (Nate is a biiiiiig fan of pancakes and eats them at least once in every book). So that was very exciting. I tried to get him to tell me about his day, but I didn't get much from him. He seems to have enjoyed himself though.

After lunch, we met A and his mom & baby brother at the mall so the kids could run around a bit at the play area. It was nastily humid today, so we opted for some indoor fun. They ran and played for a good 90 minutes before we headed home.

Tomorrow we do it all again! Well, most of it! Yay for 5 days-a-week preschool!

Oh, but first, one "first day" photo out-take, because as much as these little goofballs infuriate me at times, I do try to remember how much they make me laugh, too.

No comments: