Friday, November 02, 2012

Our car hates winter

I'm not sure what the deal is, but for the past three years, our car has had the annoying habit of refusing to start when the weather gets cold. The first year, we'd only had it for 8 months or so, and it wasn't until after the first big snow storm that it started pulling the "neaner neaner, gotta jump me" routine, so we just figured the battery was old or something. The second year, we got wise and bought one of those portable jump-start thingies that you charge up, hook up, and go. That thing has come in handy lots of times. Last year...actually, last year I don't remember having too many problems with it. It's possible I've blocked it out, however.

This week has been chillier, and rather rapidly so, than last week. Last week we were in the 70s, this week it's the 40s and 50s. This afternoon, when I picked up Soren from school, I shut the car off while he was putting on his seat belt, and then it wouldn't turn over again. What the...? It's not as though it was even THAT cold today. Over the course of the afternoon and evening, I think I had to use the jump starter three or four times. So, yay. Fun times. I find it hard to believe the battery's already bad; it was replaced, at most, two and a half years ago. So maybe the alternator's going now? Or perhaps the car just doesn't like to get up and go when it's chilly out. Who knows?

Not a super blog-worthy tale, I realize, but I wanted to make a note of the starting trouble so I will be able to look back and have a record of when it was happening. Lucky you, getting to read my drivel. ;)

No comments: