Tuesday, December 25, 2012

In keepin' with the situation!

It has been a busy couple of weeks. Heck, it's been a busy month. We bought a house, painted a couple of rooms therein, moved (almost) all of our stuff over, and even bought and decorated a second Christmas tree (after stripping the lights and decorations off the first one). But we've been sleeping at our new place for a little less than a week now and are settling in quite nicely.

I don't even have words for the shootings and general awful happenings of late. We have done our best to shield the kids from the horror, and it's probably been best for my own sanity to dwell on it as little as possible. It's the sort of thing that merits a mention, I think, and it of course serves as a reminder to be grateful even when the kids are driving me up the wall. But I'm significantly better off not delving too deeply into the news reports. I'd like to, you know, not have an even harder time sleeping at night than I already do.

So. We've survived yet another predicted apocalypse. I've got to admit it, last Friday I mentally gave the high school version of myself a reassuring pat on the head. The whole Mayan prophecy thing really freaked me out when I was about 15 years old. I remember thinking I should never have kids, because what sort of awful person would I be to bring someone into a world that was going to catastrophically fail when they were about 3 years old, and right before Christmas, no less? (Side note - pretty good guess on my part as to how old my hypothetical offspring would be in late 2012.) Obviously I got over my silly fears, but anyway. Glad the world didn't end. Of course, now I'm back to thinking about Newtown and how nothing in this world is guaranteed.

I really didn't mean for this to be a depressing post. What happened to not delving too deeply? We just had a lovely Christmas. Our first as homeowners. The kids got a great haul of goodies, thanks in large part to the wonderful people in their extended family who adore them. We had a delicious dinner of roast goose, Brussels sprouts, mashed sweet potatoes and biscuits. We spent the day playing with our new toys and laying low. Tom and I both, unfortunately, seem to be coming down with yet another cold, so that's somewhat less than ideal, but at least we don't have to deal with work and school this week.

So a merry Christmas to ya, if it ain't out-a keepin' with the situation (to quote Mrs. Dilber from Scrooge). Let us snuggle our loved ones close if they're nearby, give a mental hug if they're not, and hope things get better.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I'm a convert. I have actually looked forward to this watchin' for several years, now ;)