Sunday, January 27, 2013

Nothing Something Important Happened Today

Dorthea Balabus
May 5, 1933 - January 27, 2013

Today, in the wee hours of the morning, my Yaya took her last breaths. She died in her sleep, snug in her butterfly sweatshirt, surrounded by the photos of those who knew and loved her. It was the conclusion of her journey here, the journey we all take. It is the best we can hope for, to love and be loved and grow old before that journey's end. Yaya succeeded in all three.

So today is not a day to be too terribly sad. (Disclaimer: I can't actually tell anyone else how or what to feel. I'm speaking from my own perspective.) Today is a day to mark as the end of a story without which I wouldn't even be here.

It is important that she was here. It is important that she loved her family and her friends. It is important that they loved her back.

Happy trails, Yaya. You will not be forgotten.

1 comment:

motherissues said...

I am glad that she was aware of the love that her family had for her and that her death was easy. I've loved seeing your reminiscences of her. Peace to you and all of your family as you deal with the loss.