Monday, September 02, 2013

And thus our summer vacation draws to a close

Eleri starts preschool in the morning. This feels, simultaneously, both way too soon and a really long time coming. She's super excited and more than ready. I suspect she's going to enjoy it tremendously.

The kids' school starts classes this week for the new students only. Returning students have a day just to themselves next Monday, and then everybody goes together a week from tomorrow. So this week, for the first time in 2 years, Soren and I will drop El off at school, and then he'll return home with me. It'll be an odd change, I think. But an amusing one.

This past Friday, just in the nick of time, I got my nice camera working again. I hadn't taken any pictures with it since March! But I'll be able to get some nice first-day-of-school photos tomorrow, which I'm glad about. The iPod is a convenient substitute, if not a wholly adequate one.

This last day of summer, I went to back-to-back belly dancing and Zumba classes, while Tom and the kids went on a mile run, played at the local elementary school playground, then went on a 2-mile walk. In the afternoon, the kids and I went to play at a friend's house, whole Tom mad some truly spectacular babyback ribs for dinner. (Soren declared it the best dinner he'd ever, EVER had. Hehe.)

This summer, overall, has been a bit of a blur. An odd one, weather-wise (lots of rain and cooler than usual temperatures), but filled with activities and visiting and fun. Soren and Eleri have spent many, many hours playing together. I expect there will be an adjustment in the coming weeks, when more of their day is taken up by school. They'll probably miss each other a little. But we'll find a new equilibrium. I'm excited to see what the school year brings for all of us.

No comments: