Sunday, December 01, 2013

December is here! Time to ramble a bit.

We walked over to Nalls today and picked up a Christmas tree and a wreath for the front door. One of the employees was driving by on a little cart as we were hauling the tree home and said, "Oh what a perfect family picture that is!" of the four of us walking along all Dickensian-like, Tom and I carrying the tree, Soren carrying the wreath, Eleri holding Tom's other hand. We are kind of nauseatingly cute, sometimes, it turns out.

So now the tree is up and decorated, and the living room smells lovely. I took pictures. I'll put them up somewhere soon.

Aaaaaand that's about as much preparation for Christmas as I've managed so far. I spent the last month focusing on extracting words from my brain and putting them on the tiny laptop for NaNoWriMo. It took the whole month, but I finally finished up yesterday with 50,113 words. Whoo! I've wanted to do the NaNo thing for a long time. I tried last year and flamed out pretty early. So it feels good to have finally completed the challenge. Not that anything much will come of what I've written, of course, but the point is in the doing. Or something. But actually, I'm thrilled to be in a position to have my evenings free again! I don't know that I've watched TV in the evening more than once or twice in the past month. (Tom, meanwhile, plowed through the entire series of Battlestar Galactica on Netflix over the course of like three weeks or something.) It was kind of an odd feeling yesterday afternoon to keep thinking, "Oh geez, I need to be writing...no...wait...no I don't." Hehe.

It's been chilly here lately. Proper sweater weather. So that's nice. Of course, Eleri frequently insists that a tank top would be a perfectly fine choice to wear to school, thank you very much. Heh. Soren, meanwhile, still has a deep and abiding love for pairing his bright orange sweat pants with a red shirt, which is something I find unreasonably galling. My eyes! My eyes, I say! (I know. It's not really that big a deal. And aside from these two points, on which I am pretty unwilling to budge, I generally let them both wear whatever the heck they like. Just to be clear.) I mean, I'm no paragon of fashion and do not exactly have a lot of room to talk. Still. Red and orange. Come on now.

All right. That's enough for now. Christmas tree photos soon. :)

No comments: