Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Book Review: Legend, by Marie Lu

Hey, how long has it been since I did one of these? (Erm...like four and a half years, according to the blog archives...wow.)

So, Legend. I picked it up on the recommendation of a friend, and it was a quick and enjoyable read. The author's notes in the back of the book say that Lu was inspired by Les Miserables and wondered what would happen if the story were set in a completely different location and situation. And yes, dystopian, post-apocalyptic Los Angeles is rather a bit different from 19th century France.

(This is where I admit to still having never seen or read Les Mis, and then hang my head in shame. Yes. I know.)

Anyway. Legend. Legend is set up with alternating first person viewpoints, switching every other chapter between Day (a 15 year-old boy on the run from the law) and June (a 15 year-old girl training to be a soldier/cop). I liked the structure and felt that it really contributed to the book's forward momentum; I read through it in just a few sittings. There didn't seem to be anything particularly revelatory or unique in the story -- there were a few twists and turns, but nothing that really blew my mind -- but the entertainment value was still high. Even though it seemed pretty obvious even from early on that June and Day would end up as allies despite starting the book at odds, I liked both of the characters well enough to enjoy the journey anyway.

With plenty of action, plot, and character arc in its own right, Legend lays the groundwork for what promises to be an even bigger story in the rest of the trilogy. I'll happily put the other two books on hold at the library and stick them in my To Read stack.

No comments: