Friday, June 24, 2016

It's summer! And my birthday!

*coughs and ignores the 3-month gap in posting*

So! It's the first day of summer vacation. Around 11:00 this morning, Tom sent me an email.

"What's going on?"

My response: "Oh, you know, the usual. Probably overly ambitious summer planning. Kids and I have decided to put together a weekly newspaper, so they're working on their contributions."

Hey man. My first-day-of-summer-break mom game is tight. Hell, my last-day-of-school mom game was also aces. I had brownies waiting for them when they got home. We made paintings. They got Kindles (though to be fair, we bought those a while ago, specifically so we wouldn't have to bring a lot of books along with us on vacation next week).

(Sidebar: Holy shit, we leave for Italy a week from today! Eep!)

So anyway, yes, today. We started the day with presents (yay, birthday!) and got down to business with the summer planning. We started making some learning goals for the summer, started sketching out some plans for things we want to do while school's out and we're home. There will be art, there will be learning, there will probably be exercise and pool time and excursions to the city. At least, that's what I'm saying now, one whole day into summer break. ;) Check back with me in a few weeks, and see if we haven't all reverted to full-on zombie mode in front of our various screens.

(I kid. Mostly.)

So, yeah. This newspaper thing. It was Soren's idea, but I think he didn't quite expect me to turn it into so much of a thing. Heh. It seems like a pretty sweet idea though, if we can actually keep up with it. Sort of a running record of the stuff we're doing. Eleri's got some serial fiction to contribute, we're going to keep track of our foreign language learning and the books we're reading for the library's summer program, Soren's making a comic strip, and each of them will have an article or two per week on something we learn about. Today was (at Eleri's request) the Mona Lisa. We watched a documentary with lunch, and Eleri did some Wikipedia research. Not bad.

Later in the afternoon today, we went on a photo walk (mostly so I could play around with the sweet new ring flash Tom bought me, but also because it's a thing I've been wanting to do with them for literal years. We took about a 45 minute stroll around the neighborhood, stopping every 100 steps to find some stuff to photograph. It was fun, and I'm sure the best shots of the day will also end up in our newspaper. Hell, if we can actually manage to stick with the project, then at the end of summer we'll have a sweet little record of everything we did. Here's hoping we don't flame out.

Anyway, it was a lovely birthday, capped off with dinner at Zinburger. Tomorrow, packing prep begins in earnest. :D

No comments: